From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:31:50
1 > Firstly, forget 0+1, use RAID10.
2
3 I don't mean to hijack the tread but I have a related question.
4
5 I see from reading the mdadm man page that a RAID10 array can be created directly from individual
6 drives. I assume this gives better performance than creating two raid1 arrays and then using
7 raid0 to attach the two raid1 meta devices. Is this the case?
8
9 Also, I notice when building new kernels that there are no kernel modules for RAID10. I haven't
10 yet tested this myself (although I have (4) 300GB on hand to start testing in the next few weeks),
11 but would this create a problem when trying to create/mount a RAID10 meta device?
14 > RAID5 is fast for reads, slow for writes, and you lose the capacity of 1 disk.
15 > RAID10 is *fast* for reads *and* writes, but you lose the capacity of half
16 > your disks.
17
18 I had a terrible experience with my array when it was configured as raid5. It worked well for
19 samba shares with lots of reads and few writes, but when I tried to use it in a heavy write
20 environment, the performance was terrible and the array would break and individual drive would
21 become out of sync. mdadm would of course automatically re-sync the drives once the writes
22 completed.
26 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list