From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID5 vs. RAID0+1
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 16:53:37
1 On Friday 06 October 2006 17:30, Christian Spoo wrote:
2 > I need to set up a RAID box of about 470GB disk space accessible via
3 > GBit LAN.
4 >
5 > The whole thing should have good performance but must be reliable as
6 > well. Which RAID mode would you recommend, 5, 0+1 or maybe any other?
7 > How about the time needed for rebuilding such arrays in case of disk
8 > failure?
9
10 Firstly, forget 0+1, use RAID10.
11
12 Define "good performance". Reads or writes?
13
14 RAID5 is fast for reads, slow for writes, and you lose the capacity of 1 disk.
15 RAID10 is *fast* for reads *and* writes, but you lose the capacity of half
16 your disks.
17
18 RAID5 can live with the failure of one drive, but takes a large performance
19 hit and all your redundancy is gone until a new one is synced up which is
20 hard and time consuming to do.
21 RAID10 can, in theory, lose half of the disks and continue with little to no
22 slow down. Rebuilds are easier than RAID5 as it's a straight bit for bit
23 copy.
24
25 RAID6 adds a second disk worth of redundancy, but slows writes down further.
26
27 As a bad benchmark I had to rebuild a 4 200GB disk RAID5 array the other
28 evening on a P3 1400, took ~140minutes.
29 On at least 2 occasions I've had another disk die while doing a RAID rebuild,
30 the stress was too much for it, for this reason I won't use RAID5 again
31 unless there is a very good reason for it (i.e. need for redundancy is
32 minimal, and space is more important).
35 Mike Williams
36 --
37 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list