From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] initng and runscript
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:24:24
1 On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 10:45 +0100, Andrea Carpani wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm looking around for alternatives to runscript style init scripts as I
5 > don't like very much default gentoo scripts. While I do like the
6 > depencencies stuff I still don't get why a "status" on a script gives
7 > "started" if the process died badly, or why I need to manually do a zap
8 > (can't restart do it for me?).
9 The init-scripts only save state and don't check if the service is doing what it is supposed to do.
10
11 > I think status should be implemented in each init script and should give
12 > the real status of the service be it a ps|grep or whatever.
13 That would make init-scripts much more complicated and buggy I think.
14 While that would be optimal I don't see it happening in the near future.
15 Also it is really hard to reliably detect a service in a "working"
16 state, so you'd only check "does any process named sshd run?" which is
17 also mildly buggy :-) etc. etc.
18 It's not as easy as it sounds.
19
20 > One more thing I'd like to see is a init controlled check on the death
21 > of some daemons (sort of what daemontools does).
22 If I'm not mistaken a looooong time ago Gentoo used daemontools by default.
23
24 > This is why I'm asking: has anyone here seriously tested/used initng new
25 > scripts?
26 There are many different monitoring tools ... but none of them are easy
27 to integrate into baselayout.
28
29 Patrick
30 --
31 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move