From: Andrea Carpani <ml@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] initng and runscript
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:49:19
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm looking around for alternatives to runscript style init scripts as I
4 don't like very much default gentoo scripts. While I do like the
5 depencencies stuff I still don't get why a "status" on a script gives
6 "started" if the process died badly, or why I need to manually do a zap
7 (can't restart do it for me?).
8
9 I think status should be implemented in each init script and should give
10 the real status of the service be it a ps|grep or whatever.
11
12 One more thing I'd like to see is a init controlled check on the death
13 of some daemons (sort of what daemontools does).
14
15 This is why I'm asking: has anyone here seriously tested/used initng new
16 scripts?
17
18 Thanks.
21 andrea@×××××××.net