From: Chris <chris@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo-server project status and proposal
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:38:04
1 oh, and it surely would be usefull for single gentoo boxes too, as many
2 users already requested things like auto-update for configs, rollback
3 and ptree in a db. i guess you should work closely with the gentoo-devs
4 as this would enhance portage as a whole.
7 Chris wrote:
8
9 >this sounds like a very great project, i hope you get it done fully, as
10 >i surely would have use for it (got a whole bunch of gentoo-boxes, with
11 >different archs)
12 >
13 >plz keep us informed and also put your longer doc online, as i'm not
14 >scared to read some 50 pages about an interesting project like this :)
15 >
16 >greets, Chris
21 >Ricardo Loureiro wrote:
25 >>Hi,
26 >>
27 >>I'm finishing my masters and as final project I decided to make a
28 >>"portage" that would work well on a network environment, in this case
29 >>a software development lab. My idea is to put portage on a database
30 >>and create tools that would allow clients to request packages to a
31 >>central machine that would calculate dependencies, compile them and
32 >>install on the client. This is the quick-and-dirty short description,
33 >>it's more complex than that =)
34 >>
35 >>First i'd like to know the status of the Gentoo-Server Project, since
36 >>it's not updated since July 2003.
37 >>
38 >>Second, I wrote a quick draft of what i'm planning to do for my
39 >>project and would like some feedback since it may be useful to
40 >>gentoo-server. The doc is available at
41 >>http://student.dei.uc.pt/~rjlouro/gentoo-server.pdf
42 >>
43 >>Please note it's quite simple cause I didn't want to bore ppl, i've
44 >>already wrote much more than that for my report and will be happy to
45 >>provide all info needed, but I don't want to scare ppl with very long
46 >>stuff, if you feel this can be usefull to gentoo great, i'd love to
47 >>give all of it back.
48 >>
49 >>Regards,
50 >>Ricardo Loureiro