From: Nate <insanitymusic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] forcing good passwords
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:38:31
1 Mark Rudholm wrote:
2
3 >On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:31 +0100, Paweł Madej wrote:
7 >>Hash: SHA1
8 >>
9 >>Mark Rudholm wrote:
12 >>>Benjamin Smee (strerror) wrote:
13 >>>
14 >>>I feel compelled to point out that 8-character passwords,
15 >>>no matter their composition, aren't really that strong
16 >>>anymore. Also, forcing users to use special characters
17 >>>and change passwords frequently only guarantees that they
18 >>>will write them down, often not in secure places.
19 >>>
20 >>>You might consider having users use longer passwords
21 >>>(a passphrase). They're easier for a user to remember,
22 >>>so they're less likely to write them down. They're also
23 >>>far more resistant to brute force attacks and guessing.
24 >>>Also consider that if you require two capital letters,
25 >>>2 numbers, and 2 special characters, you've just reduced
26 >>>the number of possible 8-character passwords quite
27 >>>significantly.
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>In some case yes, but you have to take into acount that [a-zA-Z0-9] and
31 >>special signs that is very big volume of possible combinations. In this
32 >>case I think that it is much more secure than 12 [a-zA-Z] password which
33 >> could be named passphrase.
37 >>>It's usually very easy for a user to remember something
38 >>>like 'My child flies kites.' but if you make them use
39 >>>things like '^3!kX$1a' and force changes every couple
40 >>>of months, they *will* write it on a post-it note and
41 >>>stick it in their desk drawer or on their display.
42 >>>
43 >>>
44 >
45 >As random as that example password I used was, it doesn't
46 >meet your critieria for a 'strong password' (it doesn't have
47 >two capital letters).
51 >>In this case I have to say that it is 100% right because users are very
52 >>lazy, they don't want to think. Social effect is the biggest hole in
53 >>every security.
54 >>So I what you propose Mark? Setting only minimum lenght to 12 ? 15 signs
55 >>and leave users to choose which signs they want to use to make their
56 >>passphrase?
60 >Well, if I were designing a password policy, I'd probably set
61 >the minimum length to 11 characters of any sort, set either no
62 >password expiry or a very long one, and include password management
63 >in the basic security training I gave users. In that training, I'd
64 >explain passphrases and that users shouldn't write them down.
65 >I'd discuss how to avoid phishing and spyware, and what to do with
66 >emailed attachments. Any one of these could be an attacker's
67 >entry point.
68 >
69 >-Mark
73 I recommend the same as mark there, except let them write em down, but
74 be strict on how they can do so,
75 tell them to keep them via a saft location, and handel them like they
76 would with a credit card. If you're looking
77 for some good pointers on passwords, check out twit.tv and listen to
78 Security Now, one of the shows they talk about
79 creating passwords which they sounded pretty resonable on the topic.
80
81 -Nate