From: Mark Rudholm <rudholm@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] forcing good passwords
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:22:45
1 On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:31 +0100, Pawe³ Madej wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mark Rudholm wrote:
6 > > Benjamin Smee (strerror) wrote:
7 > >
8 > > I feel compelled to point out that 8-character passwords,
9 > > no matter their composition, aren't really that strong
10 > > anymore. Also, forcing users to use special characters
11 > > and change passwords frequently only guarantees that they
12 > > will write them down, often not in secure places.
13 > >
14 > > You might consider having users use longer passwords
15 > > (a passphrase). They're easier for a user to remember,
16 > > so they're less likely to write them down. They're also
17 > > far more resistant to brute force attacks and guessing.
18 > > Also consider that if you require two capital letters,
19 > > 2 numbers, and 2 special characters, you've just reduced
20 > > the number of possible 8-character passwords quite
21 > > significantly.
22 >
23 > In some case yes, but you have to take into acount that [a-zA-Z0-9] and
24 > special signs that is very big volume of possible combinations. In this
25 > case I think that it is much more secure than 12 [a-zA-Z] password which
26 > could be named passphrase.
27 >
28 > > It's usually very easy for a user to remember something
29 > > like 'My child flies kites.' but if you make them use
30 > > things like '^3!kX$1a' and force changes every couple
31 > > of months, they *will* write it on a post-it note and
32 > > stick it in their desk drawer or on their display.
33
34 As random as that example password I used was, it doesn't
35 meet your critieria for a 'strong password' (it doesn't have
36 two capital letters).
37
38 > In this case I have to say that it is 100% right because users are very
39 > lazy, they don't want to think. Social effect is the biggest hole in
40 > every security.
41 > So I what you propose Mark? Setting only minimum lenght to 12 ? 15 signs
42 > and leave users to choose which signs they want to use to make their
43 > passphrase?
44
45 Well, if I were designing a password policy, I'd probably set
46 the minimum length to 11 characters of any sort, set either no
47 password expiry or a very long one, and include password management
48 in the basic security training I gave users. In that training, I'd
49 explain passphrases and that users shouldn't write them down.
50 I'd discuss how to avoid phishing and spyware, and what to do with
51 emailed attachments. Any one of these could be an attacker's
52 entry point.
53
54 -Mark
57 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list