From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] cfengine and portage
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:51:04
1 Stefan Schlesinger wrote:
2
3 > Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
6 >> Hi there,
7 >>
8 >> I've been reading a bit about cfengine, and would like to give it
9 >> a try. I have some doubts and I would like to know if somebody has
10 >> solved them. My main concern right now is automatic installation of
11 >> packages... is this something you would do with cfengine in a Gentoo
12 >> system? It seems you have a packages action intended to do this, but
13 >> it seems it has only support for rpm based package managers, am I
14 >> missing anything here? Has anybody made this packages action work
15 >> with portage? Or do you use another way of installing packages with
16 >> cfengine?
17 >>
18 >> Best regards
19 >> Jose
22 > Hey Jose,
23 >
24 > as I'm new to cfengine, I've never used that module, nore did I ever
25 > try to install software using cfengine->portage ... but! I just had a
26 > look at the cfportage module and it's README(1). You can use the
27 > module to check whether an ebuild is installed or not. According to
28 > this information you can start a shellcommands: action that startes
29 > emerge <ebuild>.
30
31 Ummm... curiously this module is under
32 /usr/portage/net-misc/cfengine/files, but it doesn't get installed with
33 the cfengine ebuild... I'll take a look at it, thanks for pointing it.
36 > Btw. we created a wiki(2) for cfengine. Maybe you can just start an
37 > article about this.
38
39 Yes, I was aware of the wiki. If I manage to do anything worth
40 publishing, I'll post an article there.
41
42 Thanks, best regards
43 Jose