From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Cacti/Nagios Integration
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:26:26
1 I know people probably have seen dicussions about this elsewhere but I
2 wanted to bring it to this list to get a broader sharing of ideas.
3 Lately, I've been wanting to do more with cacti and nagios both, but it
4 just seems as though there should be a way to tie the two together to
5 make things better. The biggest complaint I have thus far is polling the
6 same data twice using two different methods. I've been reading several
7 places of how people have combined this. Here are some of the variants
8 I've heard and I'm curious what you all think.
9
10 1) Putting all the scripts into net-snmp and having both cacti and
11 nagios making snmpget calls to get the information.
12
13 This seems like an interesting idea. To me, snmp seems to be a rather
14 effiecient method of gathering information, but this method would
15 require some ideas on making this happen. I have yet to learn how to
16 extend net-snmp, but I know its rather easy. I'm thinking that it might
17 be possibly to have net-snmp directly calling nagios plugins and putting
18 it as another OID. The only other option with this idea is creating
19 custom scripts/MIB's for specific things.
20
21 2) Having Cacti directly calling nrpe to gather data.
22
23 I don't really like this idea personally because I feel that nrpe is
24 much slower than snmp calls. This would also require both programs to
25 access it doubling the polling which I don't like.
26
27 3) Having nagios polling the rrd files that cacti makes.
28
29 I don't think this is the best way to handle monitoring information for
30 nagios. You can't trust the information will be precisely correct all
31 the time.
32
33 4) Have a script that parses the performance data log nagios produces
34 and have cacti poll that.
35
36 I'm not sure how well this could work, but it was an idea that popped in
37 my head just now. Nagios can pull detailed peformance data that cacti
38 could use. I'm not sure how well this would work for making graphs. I
39 would fear having gaps in the graphs.
42 Have any of you found a good way to integrate both of these excellent
43 tools to a more effecient manner, if so, PLEASE SHARE! :)
44 --
45 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
46 Gentoo Infrastructure
47
48 ---
49 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
50 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
51
52 ramereth/irc.freenode.net