From: Ixion <ixion@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] uml
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:21:30
1 I've always been under the impression that having an entire system inside
2 a chroot is dangerous.. how dangerous (as in is it worth the hassle?) I do
3 not know. I've setup Apache in its own chroot thanks to this walkthrough:
4
5 http://penguin.epfl.ch/chroot.html
6
7 I know it's a lot of work, but once you get it down (I would recommend
8 writing your own helper to go along with it.. it's much easier than
9 figuring everything out again every time;)), it's a breeze. I can put
10 together the Apache chroot in less than an hour now if need be. Now I have
11 not delved into chrooting the other components (MySQL, etc), but once you
12 have one program chrooted by itself, I think it'll turn into second
13 nature.
14
15 But I am pedantic by nature, so maybe my suggestion is too much work. Take
16 it as you will.. if you would like some help with the chroot, please email
17 me. I'll help you out best I can! :)
18
19 Have a great day!
20
21 > Thanks... hadn't noticed the page on gentoo's site... that's cool.
22 >
23 > Is anyone using UML instead of virutal hosting? That's really what my
24 > interest is. Seems a bit of a waste of hd space to duplicate all the
25 > apps and os for each domain on the server but, considering that each
26 > domain is pretty much completely isolated from each other (and can have
27 > root access... without breaking more than their own install), it may
28 > well be worth the space. I'm wondering though, if there are gotchas that
29 > haven't occurred to me yet...
30 >
31 > Ben
35 > Michael Kohl wrote:
36 >> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:00:32 -0700