From: dennis@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:03:38
1 Thanks for the reply!
2 they are only familiar with POP, since that's all the current provider
3 provides
4 I though 125 was a rather small number of mailboxes, but I've only built
5 Exchange servers for more than 20~ish users.
6 > 125 E-mail accounts is a rather negligible number. Processor type doesn't
7 > matter, but give it a decent amount of RAM (512; 1GB if you want to do
8 > decently-fast spam and AV filtering). Depending on if you plan to go POP
9 > or
10 > IMAP, I'd recommend doing something like a RAID1 array of 2 or 3 SATA hard
11 > drives; scale the size depending on how much mail you want to let people
12 > keep on the server. External USB drives work great for backups (read up on
13 > spare devices w/ RAID, if you can get a large enough external). I also
14 > like
15 > to have my servers send tarballs to each other, and have a central backup
16 > server, but that might be overkill for your situation.
17 >
18 Yeah, I COULD build it myself, but this isn't really about money, except
19 when you have to buy a server, OS license, Exchange License, and 125 CALs.
20 Then, it doesn't really have any appeal.
21 The Dell is what I was looking at, since it comes with warranty etc. All
22 the workstations are Dell's so they have some comfort there.
23
24 > If you're looking at buying hardware, I'd recommend something like a Dell
25 > SC-series (1425 if you want rack-mounting, they're nice). I find they can
26 > do
27 > the hardware a lot more cost-effectively then anyone else (even building
28 > it)
29 > as long as you don't mind using strictly Intel processors.
32 So, what would you use? I'd like to have IMAP, Pop, and Webmail (I use
33 squirrelmail at home)
34 (and of course spamassasin, and clamAV...)
37 > In my experience, I'd stay away from qmail for e-mail purposes, but hey,
38 > it's all about freedom.