From: Kirktis <kirktis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 04:31:27
1 125 E-mail accounts is a rather negligible number. Processor type doesn't
2 matter, but give it a decent amount of RAM (512; 1GB if you want to do
3 decently-fast spam and AV filtering). Depending on if you plan to go POP or
4 IMAP, I'd recommend doing something like a RAID1 array of 2 or 3 SATA hard
5 drives; scale the size depending on how much mail you want to let people
6 keep on the server. External USB drives work great for backups (read up on
7 spare devices w/ RAID, if you can get a large enough external). I also like
8 to have my servers send tarballs to each other, and have a central backup
9 server, but that might be overkill for your situation.
10
11 If you're looking at buying hardware, I'd recommend something like a Dell
12 SC-series (1425 if you want rack-mounting, they're nice). I find they can do
13 the hardware a lot more cost-effectively then anyone else (even building it)
14 as long as you don't mind using strictly Intel processors.
15
16 In my experience, I'd stay away from qmail for e-mail purposes, but hey,
17 it's all about freedom.