From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 07:08:25
1 On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 22:29 -0600, Kirktis wrote:
2 > 125 E-mail accounts is a rather negligible number.
3 Depends on the hardware and the users - if they are regularly pushing
4 multi-megabyte attachments you may need faster hardware than expected.
5 But for normal users a Pentium-2 200 would be fast enough (just don't
6 ask how I would know that)
7
8 > Processor type doesn't matter, but give it a decent amount of RAM
9 > (512; 1GB if you want to do decently-fast spam and AV filtering).
10 > Depending on if you plan to go POP or IMAP, I'd recommend doing
11 > something like a RAID1 array of 2 or 3 SATA hard drives;
12 with more than 2 drives I'd build a RAID5, but that's personal
13 preference. Linux software raid is fast enough ... If you add more
14 services put mail and rest on different disks if you can.
15
16 > scale the size depending on how much mail you want to let people keep
17 > on the server. External USB drives work great for backups (read up on
18 > spare devices w/ RAID, if you can get a large enough external). I also
19 > like to have my servers send tarballs to each other, and have a
20 > central backup server, but that might be overkill for your situation.
21 External USB drives can fail in amazing ways :-) But I like your "backup
22 strategy"
23
24 > If you're looking at buying hardware, I'd recommend something like a
25 > Dell SC-series (1425 if you want rack-mounting, they're nice). I find
26 > they can do the hardware a lot more cost-effectively then anyone else
27 > (even building it) as long as you don't mind using strictly Intel
28 > processors.
29 Meh, if you build them yourself you can always be a lot cheaper and you
30 can customize for your needs - I'm building a fanless box for routing
31 purposes right now, nothing you could reasonably buy at these big
32 vendors. If you don't have the experience go find a small shop in your
33 area, they can offer better service.
34
35 Building it myself saves ~30% compared to our "normal" shop, Dell would
36 be even more expensive.
37
38 > In my experience, I'd stay away from qmail for e-mail purposes, but
39 > hey, it's all about freedom.
40 Right. So most people will suggest postfix, then the usual weirdos jump
41 up and yell exim ... and then the boss reads the MS propaganda and
42 really needs an exchange server ;-)
45 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move