From: dennis@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Corporate Mail server HARDWARE question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:12:34
1 > On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 22:29 -0600, Kirktis wrote:
2 >> 125 E-mail accounts is a rather negligible number.
3 > Depends on the hardware and the users - if they are regularly pushing
4 > multi-megabyte attachments you may need faster hardware than expected.
5 > But for normal users a Pentium-2 200 would be fast enough (just don't
6 > ask how I would know that)
7 >
8 >> Processor type doesn't matter, but give it a decent amount of RAM
9 >> (512; 1GB if you want to do decently-fast spam and AV filtering).
10 >> Depending on if you plan to go POP or IMAP, I'd recommend doing
11 >> something like a RAID1 array of 2 or 3 SATA hard drives;
12 > with more than 2 drives I'd build a RAID5, but that's personal
13 > preference. Linux software raid is fast enough ... If you add more
14 > services put mail and rest on different disks if you can.
15 >
16 >> scale the size depending on how much mail you want to let people keep
17 >> on the server. External USB drives work great for backups (read up on
18 >> spare devices w/ RAID, if you can get a large enough external). I also
19 >> like to have my servers send tarballs to each other, and have a
20 >> central backup server, but that might be overkill for your situation.
21 > External USB drives can fail in amazing ways :-) But I like your "backup
22 > strategy"
23 >
24 >> If you're looking at buying hardware, I'd recommend something like a
25 >> Dell SC-series (1425 if you want rack-mounting, they're nice). I find
26 >> they can do the hardware a lot more cost-effectively then anyone else
27 >> (even building it) as long as you don't mind using strictly Intel
28 >> processors.
29 > Meh, if you build them yourself you can always be a lot cheaper and you
30 > can customize for your needs - I'm building a fanless box for routing
31 > purposes right now, nothing you could reasonably buy at these big
32 > vendors. If you don't have the experience go find a small shop in your
33 > area, they can offer better service.
34 >
35 > Building it myself saves ~30% compared to our "normal" shop, Dell would
36 > be even more expensive.
37 >
38 >> In my experience, I'd stay away from qmail for e-mail purposes, but
39 >> hey, it's all about freedom.
40
41 so, are you "most" people?
44 > Right. So most people will suggest postfix, then the usual weirdos jump
45 > up and yell exim ... and then the boss reads the MS propaganda and
46 > really needs an exchange server ;-)
47 >
48 > --
49 > Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move
54 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list