From: "Andrew D. Fant" <andrew.fant@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Grub over serial ports at high speeds
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:56:23
1 Morning all,
2 I have a Dell 6850 that I am running in a data center environment with
3 Gentoo. There is no KVM capacity for it, so I have set it up with serial
4 console support. Dell's console redirection works great at 115200 baud, and I've
5 had no trouble with boot messages going to the tty at that speed either, but
6 Grub refuses to work over the serial port at that speed. When I add the
7 following lines to grub.conf:
8
9 serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no
10 terminal serial
11
12 the system just sits there mute and I have to boot from the liveCD and disable
13 the serial terminal option.
14
15 Any suggestions about this, or do I need to break down and go back to lilo,
16 which even though deprecated does work with high-speed serial connections.
17
18 Thanks,
19 Andy
22 Andrew Fant | The lion and the calf shall lie | Disclaimer:
23 andrew.fant@×××××.edu | down together, but the calf won't | Do you REALLY
24 UIT/USG | get much sleep. | think I can
25 Tufts University | W. Allen | speak for Tufts?
26 --
27 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list