From: Andrew Cooks <acooks@××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Automating security updates on non-cutting edge server
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:13:23
1 I just put a line in the crontab:
2 emerge sync &>/dev/null && emerge --deep -upvl world && emerge -uf world >/dev/null
3
4 It's not pretty. It's not sophisticated.
5
6 You will get a mail from cron with the output of
7 'emerge --deep -upvl world' and then you can decide what to do.
8
9 Removing the --pretend and letting these updates run automatically is just
10 asking for trouble IMHO.
11
12 There are several problems with this approach...
13
14 1. There's not enough information about updates to the tree (rsync). If
15 your mirror isn't up to date, you won't know it. This isn't really
16 different to normal syncs, but it's still a problem.
17
18 2. Output of wget in the fetch phase isn't suppressed, so you get a long
19 mail.
20
21 I recommend checking http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=36086 and
22 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3252