From: Andy Mayer <andy@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Automating security updates on non-cutting edge server
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:35:21
1 Hi there,
2
3 I've been using Gentoo as my desktop platform for about 3 months now and
4 I really like it's power and flexibility. But I usually use Red Hat 7.3
5 on our production servers as I really like the Red Hat Network up2date
6 functionality which automatically applies security patches without
7 needing human intervention.
8
9 Basically, I am the sort of guy that wants to spend minimal time
10 maintaining production servers that are not cutting edge so that I can
11 concentrate my time on development work.
12
13 But with Red Hat dropping Red Hat Network support for RH7.3, I am
14 seriously considering changing our server platform over to Gentoo.
15
16 Our server requirements are not cutting edge; we only need Apache, PHP.
17 Perl and mySql (and maybe later some mail services). My question is: if
18 I move our server platform to Gentoo, is there an automated way of
19 applying security patches to the currently installed software that I can
20 "fire and forget" without fear of things breaking big time.?
21
22 I know this question is not very focused, but I wanted to start a
23 discussion as to the best methods of automating security updates for
24 non-cutting edge Apache/MySQl/PHP servers using Gentoo.
25
26 Thanks for your help!
27
28 Andy
29
30 PS. Is there a web-archive of this list that I can search?
34 http://andymayer.net
35 Painless IT solutions
36 127 Manchester Road, Sheffield S10 5DN, United Kingdom
37 office: +44 (0) 114 263 1336 / fax: +44 (0) 700 594 7665