From: Jon Kinred <jkinred@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Automating security updates on non-cutting edge server
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:35:34
1 Hi Andy,
2
3 I too am working on migrating our Red Hat 7.3 servers to Gentoo. I will
4 outline what i have done to address some of the issues when running
5 production servers, you can probably get some ideas from this and i'd
6 certainly like to hear from anyone how it can be improved.
7
8 What i have done is created an internal rsync server which serves a
9 fixed copy of the Portage tree. This server also houses the distfiles
10 archive and a binary packages repository, both of which are mounted via
11 NFS. Almost all my servers are p3's so i have the same make.conf
12 distributed between the servers (manually at build time, with cfengine
13 planned), so they all build with the same CFLAGS, i use "buildpkg" in
14 my FEATURES so all machines contribute any binary package they build.
15
16 When building a new server, i rsync with the fixed portage tree then use
17 buildpkg to install from the packages repository, generally it takes
18 around 1-2 hours to build a server (including compiling the kernel). It
19 is probably easier than some distributions to install: Do the regular
20 partitioning, copy the make.conf, emerge sync, mount the nfs exports,
21 emerge -u system, build the kernel, install the bootloader. We also run
22 a distributed mail system so we have quite a few servers which need an
23 identical setup, for these i just copy the world file and do "for
24 package in `cat world`; emerge ...".
25
26 Your question was mainly regarding updates, which is fairly easy. To
27 handle security updates, i sync the branch of the portage tree which has
28 the update, eg sys-libs/glibc/, the rest of the tree stays in a good,
29 stable, known state. At the moment i am jumping on the servers manually
30 to do the updates (only the first server builds the binary package),
31 which isn't too bad for 7 servers but you could add a cron job to sync
32 the tree every night and do an emerge -u, someone else posted a simple
33 command to do this. What i plan to do, is implement cfengine to manage
34 all the hosts, so instead of rsyncing every night, send out a cfengine
35 job when an update to the tree is applied.
36
37 That's pretty much where i am at the moment, though i'm sure that more
38 things will come up in the future. I am very happy with Gentoo in a
39 production environment so far.
40
41 Jon
44 Andy Mayer wrote:
45 > Hi there,
46 >
47 > I've been using Gentoo as my desktop platform for about 3 months now and
48 > I really like it's power and flexibility. But I usually use Red Hat 7.3
49 > on our production servers as I really like the Red Hat Network up2date
50 > functionality which automatically applies security patches without
51 > needing human intervention.
52 >
53 > Basically, I am the sort of guy that wants to spend minimal time
54 > maintaining production servers that are not cutting edge so that I can
55 > concentrate my time on development work.
56 >
57 > But with Red Hat dropping Red Hat Network support for RH7.3, I am
58 > seriously considering changing our server platform over to Gentoo.
59 >
60 > Our server requirements are not cutting edge; we only need Apache, PHP.
61 > Perl and mySql (and maybe later some mail services). My question is: if
62 > I move our server platform to Gentoo, is there an automated way of
63 > applying security patches to the currently installed software that I can
64 > "fire and forget" without fear of things breaking big time.?
65 >
66 > I know this question is not very focused, but I wanted to start a
67 > discussion as to the best methods of automating security updates for
68 > non-cutting edge Apache/MySQl/PHP servers using Gentoo.
69 >
70 > Thanks for your help!
71 >
72 > Andy
73 >
74 > PS. Is there a web-archive of this list that I can search?