From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Centralized Gentoo (build -> push/pull) to multiple architectures
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:52:25
1 On 10/19/05, Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I was wondering if anyone has information on a good method to centrally
6 > build
7 > and push packages out to machines with Gentoo. I have multiple machines
8 > setup under multiple processor types, and up until now I have been
9 > executing
10 > upgrades on the machines themselves. Since these are production machines,
11 > I
12 > would like to set up another machine that acts as a compile/install
13 > machine.
14 >
15 > This might be compareable to a "gold server", as described at
16 > infrastructures.org <http://infrastructures.org>. I don't suppose I could
17 > get around this using distcc?
18 >
19 > Configuration management is another issue. As it is, I have cfengine
20 > setup,
21 > though it is not setup to work with portage and I can't really see these
22 > two
23 > coming together nicely. Maybe I could create a patch for dispatch-conf...
24 >
25 > Mind you, I have no idea on where to even start on something like this, so
26 > any
27 > thoughts, ideas, or information would be helpful.
30 You could use one server to build binary packages and then emerge them on
31 the systems that need the upgrades, saves a lot of resources over running
32 the compile on each machine. Not sure how to handle the multiple archs
33 however, perhaps you could write some scripts to "change out" your build
34 environment on the build machine and re-build the packages for each arch.
35 That approach should be as simple as changing out your /etc/make.conf file
36 if all the servers use the same build profile otherwise it's going to
37 involve a bit more work.
38
39 -Mike
43 Michael E. Crute
44 Software Developer
45 SoftGroup Development Corporation
46
47 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
48 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"