From: mike <mh983@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] gentoo server updates
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 04:23:14
1 I'm new to this list and to Gentoo. I'm curious if/when Gentoo might
2 have a "release" type portage branch that only gets security updates and
3 severe bug fixes. I noticed that on the list of goals for this server
4 project, so I'm hoping this is the right place to post this. Here is
5 the background that builds up to this question and sort of my hope for
6 Gentoo.
7
8 I've tried many different distros. I am planning to run a small website
9 on my server with apache, tomcat, php, postgresql and bugzilla, so to me
10 it is like a "production" machine, but this clearly isn't a large
11 corporate type environment, and I'm trying to choose the right distro
12 for this. But this really isn't a "which distro is best" question.
13
14 I run linux on my laptop for my own personal projects and to learn. I
15 had debian for a short while, but as it typically goes, I was unhappy
16 with the old-ness of the applications and never felt right about running
17 something called "testing" or "unstable". I tried Fedora for a day or
18 two but it just didn't seem right and I hated yum. I have used
19 slackware quite a bit. I had avoided slackware for a long time because
20 of it's lack of "real" package management, but once I started using it,
21 I was thinking "wow, why isn't this more popular, it's great!". I
22 started to dislike automatic package managers and dependency checking in
23 other distros. Too many times I'd install something like python and it
24 would download X because of the dependencies the package builder
25 included. And once I went to uninstall Mozilla because I was using
26 firefox instead and it told me it would have to uninstall Gnome, again
27 because of the dependencies. So everytime I changed distros, I ended up
28 back at slackware.
29
30 My biggest problem with slackware though is the lack of "official"
31 packages for things like tomcat and postgresql, php, etc. and it
32 doesn't have as much of a "community" feel. The other problem I kept
33 facing is I would find a package for something like php, but it would be
34 compiled with mysql support and not postgresql, so I needed to compile
35 my own. Of course, all the while as I'm "playing" with these different
36 distros on my laptop and doing development, I'm thinking of the future
37 when my code will be "released" and I'll have a server to maintain. As
38 soon as I compile my own apps, I own those apps and have to ensure I
39 find security notifications and recompile in a timely fashion and do all
40 this manually. And this whole project is done in my spare time, and
41 there is not a lot of that for sure.
42
43 One day I tried Gentoo, despite all the install horror stories I heard.
44 It took me a while to install, but I fell in love with Gentoo right
45 away. It has a great community, the apps are up-to-date, and it will
46 compile everything according to how I want it. I don't really care
47 about the possible speed diff between compiling for i486 or i686 nor do
48 I care to play with the latest compiler optimizations, I just want the
49 configure options I need for the apps.
50
51 Now, the only problem I have is one day I update the portage tree and
52 upgrade my apps and suddenly I'm getting new things like bash and
53 libraries that I consider "core" parts of my system that I don't want
54 upgraded suddenly.
55
56 It seems every distro gets this wrong. Debian calls everything unstable
57 if it's a newer version, but it's stable branch is very stable, and
58 other distros make releases almost weekly and upgrade every part of the
59 system from the kernel on up. I hate to say it but Windows seems to
60 have it right here. New windows versions come up very infrequently,
61 although you get frequent security and bug "service packs". However, my
62 windows 2000 doesn't run 6 year old applications, it runs the latest
63 Eclipse and jdk and tomcat and apache and postgresql, because I need the
64 features of the latest versions.
65
66 So it seems to me there is an important distinction here. I want my
67 "base" operating system to be solid and dependable and change
68 infrequently (yet get security updates), but at the same time, user
69 applications need to be the latest version and I'm willing to accept
70 more risk to run the latest jdk or tomcat or eclipse because I need the
71 latest features, they don't need to be 6 years old to be called "stable".
72
73 All of that said, I haven't found the perfect distro yet, but Gentoo
74 seems to be the closest, missing only a more stable "release" portage
75 branch that only gets security updates and severe bug fixes, yet still
76 lets me get the absolute latest Eclipse and jdk. Currently I'm running
77 Slackware and have been experimenting with making my own SlackBuilds to
78 build packages from source, but it seems so redundant and I can't stop
79 wishing I had Gentoo. The other night I installed FreeBSD, but I
80 instantly miss Linux where I felt much more at home, but BSD does have
81 the build from source I need and also a more stable source tree. But I
82 miss emerge, and equery was about my favorite thing in the world, and
83 the Gentoo community just cannot be beat.: there are answers to
84 everything and tons of helpful people.
85
86 So, is there any hope for me? I thought maybe I'd send this email and
87 encourage your efforts towards Gentoo for servers and maybe put in a
88 request for small steps like a more stable portage tree. Anyway, thanks
89 for listening.
90
91 mike
92 --