From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] gentoo server updates
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:51:17
1 On 7/14/06, mike <mh983@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > So, is there any hope for me? I thought maybe I'd send this email and
4 > encourage your efforts towards Gentoo for servers and maybe put in a
5 > request for small steps like a more stable portage tree. Anyway, thanks
6 > for listening.
7
8 Seems to me that the simplest solution to your problem, for the time
9 being, is to simply avoid running emerge -uD world or the like. If
10 there are a few applications which you want to be up to date, only
11 update those apps. If they need newer versions of libraries or other
12 applications in order to work properly portage will take care of that.
13 As far as security updates go, you can use the glsa-check [1] tool to
14 make sure that your system isn't affected by any known vulnerabilities
15 in Gentoo software, and if you are affected glsa-check can update the
16 required software as well.
17
18 I think that's as good as you're going to get until there's an
19 uber-stable portage branch.
20
21 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/security/security-handbook.xml?part=1&chap=14
22 --