From: tigger@g.o
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] status update
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:50:36
1 Hi all,
2
3 On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:40:12AM -0400, Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 > Rob Holland (tigger) is working on an enterprise installation script that
5 > (as spec'd) will allow someone to boot to a CD, run one command and have an
6 > entire base system installed automatically from there.
7
8 I'm keen to have it not even require anything being typed at the
9 console, but for this to work I need a way for the machine to find out
10 where the gold server is on the network.
11
12 Things thats spring to mind are: UDP broadcasts and DHCP options. The
13 problem with UDP is its going to get complicated writing
14 clients/listeneres and the problem with DHCP is that not all dhcpd's
15 allow setting of non-standard options (and not everyone does/can use
16 dhcp on their network).
17
18 So, does anyone have any ideas how a machine could find out where a the
19 gold server is on its network when it boots?
20
21 Also, please join #glis on freenode if you're interested in the
22 automation of installs based on "classes" as per the i.org paper. Thats
23 what I'm working on.
24
25 Cheers,
26
27 Rob
30 rob holland - [ tigger@g.o ]
31 irc://irc.freenode.net/#gentoo as tigger^
32 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tigger/tigger@××××××××××.asc