From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] status update
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:40:19
1 Folks --
2
3 This is just a very brief status update on the gentoo-server project.
4
5 First and foremost, I think we're lacking a mission and/or a set of goals.
6 In talking to various folks about the project, a lot of people have a lot
7 of different ideas about what gentoo-server should be.
8
9 Currently, we have four active areas of development:
10
11 * Installation -- streamlining the gentoo installation process to be more
12 in-line with enterprise requirements
13 * Configuration -- improving the configuration capabilities of gentoo
14 servers in an enterprise environment
15 * Administration -- same as above, but for administration
16 * Documentation -- putting it all to paper.
17
18 Right now, we have a few folks working on various aspects of the above.
19 Rob Holland (tigger) is working on an enterprise installation script that
20 (as spec'd) will allow someone to boot to a CD, run one command and have an
21 entire base system installed automatically from there.
22
23 For the configuration and administration sections, we have been looking
24 (but haven't decided on) a tool called cfengine (www.cfengine.org).
25 cfengine isa high-level policy and scripting language that is designed to
26 make system administration easy and automatic. It has a steep learning
27 curve, but is a very powerful tool. I believe Wade has been experimenting
28 some with this.
29
30 At the moment, I think documentation is fairly light, mostly because we
31 have very little to document. We need to work on requirements definitions
32 for the other sections, however. Perhaps Ken (antifa) can help out with
33 that?
34
35 There has also been significant discussion around the infrastructure.org
36 paper(s). If we're going to do anything with that, someone needs to
37 provide the catalyst to turn that discussion into actionable items. The
38 i.org stuff is *very* high level. To do anything with it, we need to
39 translate that into discrete tasks and responsibilities.
40
41 Anyway, that's the status of things as I'm aware of them today. If I've
42 left anything out, please pitch in.
43
44 --kurt