From: TRauMa <trauma@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] multiple gentoo boxes, master file fetcher & override fetch restriction
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:53:08
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 02:07:03PM +0100 or thereabouts, TRauMa wrote:
6 >>1. is it save to generate the metadata on the server and then just pull
7 >>it in on the clients? I noticed that emerge does the quarterly updates
8 >>on first run after a sync but doesn't build metadata again (on the
9 >>clients). I'm fine with that, as on some of the slower machines this
10 >>lasts ages, but is it save? All the machines are "x86".
14 >I'm not 100% sure on this, but is there any harm in simply creating a local
15 >rsync repository and point your servers at that?
16 >app-admin/gentoo-rsync-mirror makes this very easy for you.
19 Hm, I think I'll have a look straight at the portage sources. I planned
20 to do this for a long time now, and until then I'll just risk missing an
21 update or two on those machines. :-)
22
23 >>2. How can I tell portage to ignore fetch restricitions? If I encounter
24 >>one, I manually pull in the file as portage tells me to, but I'm not
25 >>keen on pulling it on every client, too. So it would be perfect if I
26 >>could tell the clients to just try and fetch the restricted files from
27 >>the local mirror.
31 >Yes, use the local mirror facility provided by /etc/portage/mirrors. 'man
32 >portage' will give you more information on the syntax. (search for
33 >"mirrors")
37 Hm, I think you misunderstood me. I already did this and this works for
38 RESTRICT="nomirror" et al, but not for RESTRICT="fetch".
39
40 Greets
41 Thomas