From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] multiple gentoo boxes, master file fetcher & override fetch restriction
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:22:12
1 On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 02:07:03PM +0100 or thereabouts, TRauMa wrote:
2 > 1. is it save to generate the metadata on the server and then just pull
3 > it in on the clients? I noticed that emerge does the quarterly updates
4 > on first run after a sync but doesn't build metadata again (on the
5 > clients). I'm fine with that, as on some of the slower machines this
6 > lasts ages, but is it save? All the machines are "x86".
7
8 I'm not 100% sure on this, but is there any harm in simply creating a local
9 rsync repository and point your servers at that?
10 app-admin/gentoo-rsync-mirror makes this very easy for you.
11
12 > 2. How can I tell portage to ignore fetch restricitions? If I encounter
13 > one, I manually pull in the file as portage tells me to, but I'm not
14 > keen on pulling it on every client, too. So it would be perfect if I
15 > could tell the clients to just try and fetch the restricted files from
16 > the local mirror.
17
18 Yes, use the local mirror facility provided by /etc/portage/mirrors. 'man
19 portage' will give you more information on the syntax. (search for
20 "mirrors")
21
22 --kurt