From: TRauMa <trauma@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] multiple gentoo boxes, master file fetcher & override fetch restriction
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:07:15
1 Hi there,
2
3 I admin multiple gentoo boxes and built a "poor man gentoo mirror
4 structure" the following way: one box, my desktop, where I install the
5 latest and greatest software, serves its distfiles via ftp and all the
6 other boxes have it in their mirror list. They occasionaly have to d/l
7 something from the great inet themselves but I can live with that, I
8 just want to be nice to the gentoo mirrors, not set one up myself. I
9 decided against an NFS-mounted distfiles dir b/c I didn't want two boxes
10 downloading the same file to conflict.
11 For syncing the portage tree, I "emerge sync" manually on the master box
12 and then use rsync over ssh locally to get the latest ebuilds on the
13 clients. As /usr/portage/distfiles on the master is empty (the files are
14 stored elsewhere) this has the automatical benefit of removing the
15 distfiles from the clients.
16
17 Now I have two questions:
18 1. is it save to generate the metadata on the server and then just pull
19 it in on the clients? I noticed that emerge does the quarterly updates
20 on first run after a sync but doesn't build metadata again (on the
21 clients). I'm fine with that, as on some of the slower machines this
22 lasts ages, but is it save? All the machines are "x86".
23 2. How can I tell portage to ignore fetch restricitions? If I encounter
24 one, I manually pull in the file as portage tells me to, but I'm not
25 keen on pulling it on every client, too. So it would be perfect if I
26 could tell the clients to just try and fetch the restricted files from
27 the local mirror.
28
29 Thanks for reading ;-)
30 Thomas