From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] IMAP Filtering
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:44:43
1 Hello all,
2
3 This has been discussed several times in #gentoo-server on
4 irc.sourceforge.net, but I am still looking for a solution for IMAP
5 filtering for courier-imap. Maybe my setup is just wrong, but IMAP is
6 annoyingly slow compared to pop3. The only advantage I have in using
7 imap is that I can sync my mail on any box and access via squirrelmail
8 and have all my archived email available.
9
10 My current setup is courier-imap-ssl -> evolution 2.2.1.1 which I have
11 configured with all the recommended speedup tricks I could find.
12 Sometimes, when things try to sync, it just becomes unusable for thirty
13 seconds or more. Quite annoying. Filtering is incredibly slow compared
14 to filtering with pop3. I see plans by the evolution devs to make a
15 better sync algorithm. And yes I have used Thunderbird and it is just as
16 annoyingly slow.
17
18 I have been told that the trick is to do server side filtering on
19 incoming mail. I don't however think this will fix my problems. This
20 leaves me to believe that after this many years of IMAP being in use and
21 it is still at this level of lameness, that I should return to using
22 pop3 and create something with cron and rsync to make my mail archive
23 available on the server. Kind of a lame solution, but functional, and I
24 wouldn't have to go on a break every time I want to check my new email.
25 I wonder if IMAP is really this broken, or nobody has figured out how to
26 make it work properly yet? I've used rsync alot and rsync would work
27 faster to syncronize server and client. Thoughts? Solutions?
28
29 Wendall
32 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list