From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [Somewhat OT] Backup Solution (Gentoo Based)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:56:08
1 Kirk Hoganson wrote:
2 > I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. Bacula looks like
3 > a close fit. I don't know how it flew under my radar. My question, for
4 > those using it, would be how do you handle DB backups? MySQL backups
5 > are of the utmost importance here.
6
7 hotbackup might be an option ? (too unfamiliar with it to actually give
8 any useful advice, just know that it exists)
9
10 You might want to have a look at LVM snapshot facility which allows you
11 to take a simple filebased backup of your database because LVM has
12 frozen the state at a point in time.
13
14 That would assume that you're willing to run your database off a LVM
15 volume ;-)
16
17 I personally use a scheme for mysql-backup with a dedicated slave for
18 backups in a mysql-replication setup. The slave isn't used for anything
19 but backups. Stop the slave at low traffic and dump everything to local
20 fs, start the slave and resync, move the backup to storage.
21
22 > How are Bacula users backing up their DB servers?
23
24 Last time I used bacula it didn't have hot-backup facilities for
25 databases. That was about a year back, so things might have changed.
26
27 Ramon
28 --
29 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list