From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] smart way to backup apache uploaded files.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:44:17
1 Zane W wrote:
2
3 > I just re-read your original post. You should be able to do a similar
4 > thing with whatever web application you are using to set the umask for
5 > uploaded files.
6
7 But how? I don't find on the Internet how to change the default
8 permission for apache uploaded file.
9
10 Besides, I wish to know *how dangerous* it is to let user 'apache' login
11 through ssh by using public/private key. If it is not dangerous, perhaps
12 I could just keep my way as it is?
13
14 > Zane W wrote:
15 >
16 >> change the umask on your ftpd server to something like 133:022, and
17 >> new files uploaded will have permissions of 644 with directories
18 >> getting 755. this should allow your script to work without problems
19 >>
20 >> z
21 >> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
22 >>
23 >>> Hello. I am using a script tool to backup the apache uploaded files
24 >>> (through ssh) on the web server. These files resident in a folder
25 >>> that belongs to 'apache' user. Each time a user upload a file within
26 >>> the web application, the uploaded file stays in that folder with mod
27 >>> 700.
28 >>>
29 >>> Because only apache user could read that file (700 permission), it
30 >>> makes it difficult to receive the files through ssh. This is what I
31 >>> did:
32 >>> 1) on the backup box (not the web server), create user apache,
33 >>> generate dsa key pair for it.
34 >>> 2) on the web server, create /home/httpd, put the public key of
35 >>> apache@backup_box in ~apache/.ssh/authorized_keys
36 >>> 3) on the web server, allow apache user login (by changing its shell
37 >>> from /bin/false to /bin/bash)
38 >>> 4) run the backup script on the backup box as apache.
39 >>>
40 >>> This raises a security problem. apache user being to be able to
41 >>> login through ssh. I am not very experienced to tell how dangerous
42 >>> this could be. I think I am not going to suffer from ssh dictionary
43 >>> attack, very simple reason: user apache (should) have no password,
44 >>> and ssh password login is turned off on web server. However, is
45 >>> there any other risks that could be caused by setting apache user's
46 >>> login shell to bash?
47 >>>
48 >>> Another idea might be changing all the uploaded file permission to
49 >>> something like 740, but new files are uploaded every day, they are
50 >>> automatically given permission 700.
51 >>>
52 >>> Thank you!
53 >>>