From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Network Monitoring Packages eg:ntop
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:15:30
1 On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 11:36 -0500, James M. Cook wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 December 2005 8:41 am, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > Just want to see if anyone has any good info to share.
6
7 > I've evaluated all the packages you've listed but had completely forgotten
8 > about ntop (which I'm playing with now, fantastic).
9
10 With some additional overhead. There is a perl script to export the data
11 to SQL but I've yet to play with it. (but the downside is that it's not
12 supported and thus, I may be knocking on a dead door when I see trouble)
13
14 > I'm not sure any of them
15 > are going to give you what you want.
16
17 Can't have my cake and eat it too? :-(
18
19 > I didn't see any information about Traffic Flow Analysis on argus' website, do
20 > you have that URL?
21
22 It should be on argus' website. I'm sure it's not a figment of my
23 imagination.
24
25 > opennms - nice, but uses tomcat since it's java based. Seemed to generate the
26 > heaviest load on the server. Not knowing a whole lot about tomcat and using
27 > tomcat4, which is not available in portage, made setup a little tricky for
28 > me. Didn't see any graphing capabilities either.
29
30 You actually installed it? I know of one company exinda (IIRC) that uses
31 java for it's traffic analysis. Not only is it slow, it's also unable to
32 do the stuffs I want.
33
34 > jffnms - this was my choice for a while. Then I tried to add a new OID and
35 > couldn't figure it out. I found the montoring interface was good but
36
37 Based on list archives, it used to be in portage, but it was taken out.
40 > argus - this is my new choice. I like the simple web interface and the
41 > configuration is pretty straightforward. I'm actually creating a script to
42 > convert my old monitoring sw config to argus. Working at an ASP requires
43 > monitoring website performance which appears to be the most straightforward
44 > with argus. The graphs aren't as good as some other packages.
45
46 Again, argus doesn't support putting data into a SQL table.
47
48 > zabbix - midas - cacti with the threshold plugin.
49
50 I tried cacti before, but since I wasn't able to get SNMP to work with
51 my NIC (I tried it out on a laptop) I just gave up.
52 >
53 > It seems to me that none of these packages are perfect fits.
54
55 Ditto
56
57 > My main issue is there is not web interface to
58 > update the config which is available in most of the others. This should only
59 > become an issue when I start to have others maintain the system. :)
60
61 That's why there's those 4am calls for manual intervention.
62
63 I'll be frank, what I want is for a way to determine top talkers and
64 then use that data (with the IP) and then use TC (traffic control) rules
65 to restrict/handicap it's bandwidth. Right now, what I'm doing is manual
66 control and I can't keep up with the 4am nights just to restrict some
67 IPs.
68
69 Do you have any comment/info on how/what's best to do those? Do you also
70 know if the way ntop stores it's data, does it also store the IP
71 addreses in the RRD Database as well? What I need is to just get the top
72 talkers and that would be great. Whipping up a perl/shell script via
73 cron to do the dirty work for me.
74
75 Thanks
78 Ow Mun Heng
79 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
80 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
81 Neuromancer 10:12:28 up 1 day, 54 min, 4 users, load average: 1.15,
82 0.77, 1.66
86 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list