From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Catalyst{,2} and 2006.0 (was [gentoo-server] Quick restores)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 06:26:00
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 [snip]
3 >>I should also mention that gentoo catalyst may be worth looking into on the
4 >>off chance that it may provide you with a solution. You could build your
5 >>very own stage and boot/rescue disk. Here is a link to the project site:
6 >>http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/
9 > I haven't quite got my head around Catalyst - anyone made their own
10 > restores CDs?
11
12 Now that catalyst was brought into question, can I snatch this thread and ask a few more questions.
13
14 So far I have played with catalyst, lately catalyst2, since gentoo-1.4 was released. AFAIR, 3 or 4
15 times. More or less it ended up nowhere because of lack of _real_ examples and documentation (seems
16 to be getting better these days) combined with the long times to make a custom install CD starting
17 form stage1. Machines are getting faster and more (as numbers of boxen), distcc and ccache are
18 improving, so the latter problem has also been getting easier.
19
20 So what about the first problem? Working, real configs for gentoo releases?
21 I am thinking something of the kind, will it be possible/good/easy to start preparing a few configs
22 for the next release (2006.0 right?), complete configs starting from say
23 stage1-x86-2005.1-r1.tar.bz2 (as usually x86 is getting the most beating).
24
25 BTW, will next release use catalyst or catalyst2?
26
27 And as a good practice, leave all configs (for some time) in the source of catalyst sot that anybody
28 , more in practice than in theory, can produce an install CD.
29
30 The political aspect is that some "script kiddies" can start producing/selling/advertising "my 0wn
31 lin'x bootable CD", but hope we can catch them and educate them early that they'd better mention
32 "Gentoo" :-)
33
34 Customized bootable CD can be used NOT only for:
35 Installing on "strange" hardware
36 Upgrading some part of a release (kernel, gcc, security patches, etc.) quicker for new installs
37 Changing some packages for others as default (vim for nano, iproute2 for ifconfig, mtr for
38 traceroute, etc.)
39 Giving to a (close or girl-) friend to install in a snap on her exotic laptop
40 Making a quick restore CD (this thread was about that)
41 Making a bootable gcc/distcc node (to use those few remaining windoze machines in your office at
42 night, 'cause most don't support PXE netboot)
43 Feel more Gentoo: "optimized and customized for just about any application or need"
44 Make a small print firewall, still based on Gentoo
45 one more reason
46 yet another one
47 [ add your 10 reasons here ]
48