From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Quick restores
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 04:39:40
1 On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Robert Larson wrote:
2
3 > If I understand you correctly, then this may help:
4 > # obtain a list of installed packages
5 > emerge -vep world | grep ^'\[ebuild ' | while read a; do
6 > # extract the package name
7 > pkg=$(echo $a | cut -d']' -f2 | awk '{print $1}')
8 > # build a binary of the package
9 > quickpkg "/var/db/pkg/${pkg}"
10 > done
11
12 I came up with this (yes, granted it is tied to the file-system layout but
13 its damn fast!):
14
15 find /var/db/pkg -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -print -exec quickpkg {} \;
16
17 I set PKGDIR in /etc/make.conf to drop packages under a directory in
18 /home (our regular backup system dumps /home to another host). Im assuming
19
20 I would also need to save my world file somewhere. I haven't scripted all
21 the pieces together yet.
22
23 > As well, it may help to have:
24 > FEATURES="buildpkg"
25 > in your make.conf. This way anytime a package is installed it will make a
26 > binary.
27
28 Yep.
29
30 > I should also mention that gentoo catalyst may be worth looking into on the
31 > off chance that it may provide you with a solution. You could build your
32 > very own stage and boot/rescue disk. Here is a link to the project site:
33 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/
34
35 I haven't quite got my head around Catalyst - anyone made their own
36 restores CDs?
41 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list