From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Trouble mounting Windows Share using cifs
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:36:01
1 > If "grep cifs$ /proc/filesystems" doesn't show anything then support
2 > definitely isn't available. This means it's either not statically
3 > built into the kernel or that it's not available as a loadable moduel
4 > for whatever reason.
5
6 Yes, cifs wasn't there. However, smbsf was and I was able to connect with it. :)
9 > If it is something you intend to use consistently then I don't see
10 > much point in building it as a module. Nonetheless, here are a few
11 > tips relating to the usage of loadable kernel modules:
12
13 Thanks for the practical advise.
16 > 1) If you enable an option as a module where previously it wasn't
17 > enabled at all then, in most cases you can get away with: make modules
18 > && make modules_install. The modules_install step is necesary to move
19 > them to the correct place under /lib/modules/($uname -r).
20
21 This is where my problem was. I was only "make module". I preformed
22 "modules_install" and now I am able to load the cifs module and
23 connect to my windows share using it. Thanks for the help.
24
25 > 2) There are some exceptions to the above rule. If in doubt, it's
26 > safer to do this: make && make modules_install.
27 >
28 > 3) Make sure your bootloader is booting a kernel built from the source
29 > tree that you're actually manipulating! This is particularly pertinent
30 > if you have multiple source trees installed. For sanity's sake, also
31 > make sure you have /usr/src/linux symlinked to whichever tree you want
32 > to work from.
33
34 yes, thank goodness for eselect :).
37 Thanks your for all of your help and guidence.
38
39 Regards,
40
41 Richard Broersma Jr.