From: l'Alessio <malessio@×××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] [Somewhat OT] Backup Solution (Gentoo Based)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:36:27
1 I suggest bacula too. I use it in more than one farm and It saved my
2 skin in differents way.
3
4 Il giorno 06/giu/06, alle ore 23:03, Kirk Hoganson ha scritto:
5
6 > Not really a Gentoo specific problem, but one related to my Gentoo
7 > servers none the less. Hopefully someone here can provide some
8 > insight that I lack, in finding a good overall solution to our
9 > backup needs.
10 >
11 > We have about 50 Gentoo servers filling different roles, and we
12 > have been outgrowing our current backup solution (bash scripts on
13 > each host), for some time.
14 >
15 > I recently got the budget for a central host with a couple TB of
16 > storage. Now it falls to me to come up with a replacement for
17 > these disparate scripts that fills our specific needs.
18 >
19 > What are those needs? Well, I'm glad your curious. They are
20 > actually pretty simple.
21 > 1. We have directories with data that change daily on many of these
22 > hosts. These must be backed up incrementaly.
23 > 2. We need to create regular system "snapshots", or recovery CD's
24 > to backup the systems and their configurations in the event of
25 > failure.
26 > 3. There are systems whose data changes on a less frequent basis,
27 > and these need only be backed up weekly.
28 > 4. We also have several MySQL databases that also must be backed up
29 > daily in their entirity. One of these DB's is about 20G, the rest
30 > are much smaller.
31 > 5. All of this data is compressed, encrypted, and sent to an
32 > outside vendor for offsite storage. We don't need to archive much
33 > of our data. Our needs are primarily data and system recovery.
34 >
35 > We were considering AMANDA as a central solution, but it's lack of
36 > MySQL integration made it only a partial solution, with some
37 > addition hacking/scripting to make it viable for all of our data.
38 >
39 > I would like to keep as much logic and control on the central
40 > system to ease maintenance. I would also prefer to use standard
41 > tools wherever possible, to avoid unnecessary complication.
42 >
43 > Does anyone have any thoughts about how some of this can be
44 > accomplished, using a software package (like AMANDA), or an in
45 > house model putting together common system tools (perl, ssh, tar,
46 > etc.)
47 >
48 > I am really hoping to find something that we won't regret in a
49 > month, because it is a ridiculous hack, or a horribly flawed
50 > architecture.
51 > --
52 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
56 l'Alessio
57
58 "I computer sono incredibilmente veloci, accurati e stupidi. Gli
59 uomini sono incredibilmente lenti, inaccurati e intelligenti. Insieme
60 sono una potenza che supera l'immaginazione." Albert Einstein
61
62 .oooO
63 ( ) Oooo.
66 (_/