From: Kirk Hoganson <kirk2@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] [Somewhat OT] Backup Solution (Gentoo Based)
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 21:14:35
1 Not really a Gentoo specific problem, but one related to my Gentoo
2 servers none the less. Hopefully someone here can provide some insight
3 that I lack, in finding a good overall solution to our backup needs.
4
5 We have about 50 Gentoo servers filling different roles, and we have
6 been outgrowing our current backup solution (bash scripts on each host),
7 for some time.
8
9 I recently got the budget for a central host with a couple TB of
10 storage. Now it falls to me to come up with a replacement for these
11 disparate scripts that fills our specific needs.
12
13 What are those needs? Well, I'm glad your curious. They are actually
14 pretty simple.
15 1. We have directories with data that change daily on many of these
16 hosts. These must be backed up incrementaly.
17 2. We need to create regular system "snapshots", or recovery CD's to
18 backup the systems and their configurations in the event of failure.
19 3. There are systems whose data changes on a less frequent basis, and
20 these need only be backed up weekly.
21 4. We also have several MySQL databases that also must be backed up
22 daily in their entirity. One of these DB's is about 20G, the rest are
23 much smaller.
24 5. All of this data is compressed, encrypted, and sent to an outside
25 vendor for offsite storage. We don't need to archive much of our data.
26 Our needs are primarily data and system recovery.
27
28 We were considering AMANDA as a central solution, but it's lack of MySQL
29 integration made it only a partial solution, with some addition
30 hacking/scripting to make it viable for all of our data.
31
32 I would like to keep as much logic and control on the central system to
33 ease maintenance. I would also prefer to use standard tools wherever
34 possible, to avoid unnecessary complication.
35
36 Does anyone have any thoughts about how some of this can be
37 accomplished, using a software package (like AMANDA), or an in house
38 model putting together common system tools (perl, ssh, tar, etc.)
39
40 I am really hoping to find something that we won't regret in a month,
41 because it is a ridiculous hack, or a horribly flawed architecture.
42 --
43 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list