From: "José Costa" <meetra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Best practices in managing large server groups
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:57:01
1 ups, replied for the wrong email "question".
2
3 how about dealing with /var/*/portage and db stuff?
4
5 On 5/21/07, José Costa <meetra@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > try portage-utils. they are in C.
7 >
8 > On 5/21/07, Ronan Mullally <ronan@×××.ie> wrote:
9 > > On Mon, 21 May 2007, Ryan Gibbons wrote:
10 > >
11 > > > I believe you will still need a tree either way.
12 > > >
13 > > > I would just have the master server share it's portage tree over nfs, and then
14 > > > when you update the nodes of the cluster, just mount the nfs share, run your
15 > > > emerge system or world or whatever, and then when you are finished umount the
16 > > > nfs share.
17 > > >
18 > > > I imagine this could be done easily via scripts, complete with error checking
19 > > > for bad mounts bad emerges etc.
20 > >
21 > > That's what I figured. Okay, last question - how do I stop emerge trying
22 > > to update the compiler-less systems to include development tools like gcc?
23 > > I presume tweaking the profile is the way to do it. Is there a stock
24 > > profile that already has these excluded?
27 > > -Ronan
28 > > --
29 > > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list