From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql 4.1 status
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 04:29:10
1 Thanks for these tips guys.
2
3 So, do you think the safest route is to do a full sql dump of my 4.0 dbs/tables, unmerge
4 4.0, emerge 4.1, and then load the dump file? That seems pretty scary to me, but the docs
5 sound like that's the prefered route due to the character encoding changes.
6
7 Which approach did you use Jason? Has anyone just unamsked 4.1, installed it over a full,
8 active 4.0 setup, done revdep-rebuild and had it all go fine? What problems have people had?
9
10 Also, anyone heard of any problems with 4.1 and PHP stuff like horde or pear?
11
12 thanks,
13
14 b
17 dormando wrote:
18 > I would suggest you first read through this:
19 > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html
20 >
21 > Specifically, try the method described near the top (search for --new)
22 > about running MySQL 4.0 with 4.1's incompatible features enabled. If
23 > everything blows up, remove the option and restart your 4.0 server. Then
24 > don't upgrade :) If you're going to upgrade, carefully read the rest of
25 > that document first.
28 Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
29
30 > And yes, you can emerge it easily. Either unmerge 4.0.x first and then
31 > emerge 4.1.x, or just emerge it and watch it magically replace the old
32 > version.
33 >
34 > Yes, there are library interface changes, so you will have problems with
35 > broken reverse dependencies. revdep-rebuild works nicely for these cases.
36 --
37 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list