From: Martin Marcher <ekimus@×××××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:09:55
1 On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:46:24PM -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > In retrospect you need not mandate a particular database, but having the
6 > ability to plug portage into an sql compatible database engine would be a
7 > dream. On the other, for the sake of simplicty, using something the likes
8 > of bdb would be just as useful. Whatever you decide on using, it would HAVE
9 > to be better than the current file system based method.
10
11 I've been following your discussion for a couple of days, and have to
12 say what I really like about portage is the possibility to alter the
13 ebuilds without nearly one daemon running, that means for me the
14 filesystem is ok, but on the other hand I'm working on a project which
15 handles different documents which are available for download, all the
16 data is stored in the fs in a portage like way but the metadata is
17 stored in a db backend, so a (for the moment really bad) layout could be
18
19 sql table:
20
21 type | name | version | path
22 -------------------------------------------------
23 app-admin |addpatches | 0.2 |
24 app-admin |aide | 0.8 |
25 app-admin |aide | 0.9 |
26
27 and so on (you get the idea).
28
29 _but_ we are working on a wrapper script which
30
31 a) gets the info from the filesystem, so if theres a new
32 /usr/portage/$type_of_app/$app_name/$ebuild_version
33 it would be automatically added to the database, this way you could
34 easily modify ebuilds to your needs, add them to the tree (with a simple
35 text editor) and still have a db backend.
36
37 b) do the same thing the other way around
38
39 of course emerge sync then should update both things and you would need
40 an update script that syncs both, we are at the moment searching for a
41 good way (in our system) to handle deleted ebuilds, because of the
42 following reasons
43
44 Should the package really be deleted (in the overlay dir for example) or
45 was it just by mistake or was it deleted/moved by emerge sync
46
47 The database could hold much more metadata and still portage (for users
48 not using this feature) could be compatible with the old
49 way since it would still work without the database.
50
51 Just an idea and my 2cents :)
52
53 Martin