From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: requirements for a more stable portage tree
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:00:28
1 Andy Dustman wrote:
2
3 > Jerry McBride wrote:
4 >
5 >> Portage SHOULD have a database backend. MySql would be perfect. In the
6 >> name of performance, at least have a second look at this.
7 >
8 > I don't think mandating any relational database as a pre-requisite to
9 > Portage is a good idea, unless you implement it in such a way that you
10 > have it as a pluggable backend, i.e. you can stick with the current
11 > filesystem method, or bdb, or MySQL, or PostgreSQL, or whatever.
14 In retrospect you need not mandate a particular database, but having the
15 ability to plug portage into an sql compatible database engine would be a
16 dream. On the other, for the sake of simplicty, using something the likes
17 of bdb would be just as useful. Whatever you decide on using, it would HAVE
18 to be better than the current file system based method.
19
20 > There are some plusses to having the database backend: Centralized tree,
21 > and fast queries. Downside: Extra complexity, and how often do you need
22 > to query the tree anyway?
25 I like Linux and I love Gentoo's wide selection of applications. I'm
26 constantly poking around the portage tree... :')
27
28 If for some reason the database backend never comes to mature... maybe we
29 can move the .ebuild files in the portage tree to html instead of the flat
30 ascii that they currently are? Konqueror would like them better. Hmmm...
31 how about a master index.html file?
32
33 There just HAS to be a better, faster way of doing this... :')
36 > And yes, this is my project:
37 >
38 > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
39 > a.k.a. dev-python/mysql-python
40
41 Nice to meet you. Keep up the good work.
46 Registered Linux User Number 185956
47 http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
48 Join me in chat at #linux-users on irc.freenode.net
49 This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
50 html.
51 11:02pm up 3 days, 11:36, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.09, 0.09