From: TRauMa <trauma@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Getting commercial software certified on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:27:22
1 Hi,
2
3 Matthew Marlowe wrote:
4
5 >I do not think there is much gentoo itself can do to gain commercial certifications other than:
6 >- Continue to improve the quality of the distribution
7 >- Have responsive contacts when commercial companies finally show interest
10 AFAIK, you don't certify for a distribution vendor, but for a certain
11 fixed distribution. So you can say software X is certified for Fedora
12 Core rc2, SuSE Professional 9.2 and Debian 3.0. But gentoo is (and
13 that's part of its beauty) a moving target, and therefore you never can
14 say if X will work on it (what about the next glibc update, for example).
15
16 Maybe this will change with the introduction of the hypothetical
17 server/ultra stable tier, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
18
19 Regards
20 T.