From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Broken world upgrades
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:58:43
1 TRauMa wrote:
2 > Steeve Lennmark wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >> how do you people handle dynamically linked breakage during world
6 >> upgrades?
7 >> I upgraded media-libs/pdflib from 5.0.2 to 6.0.0_p1 and since php was
8 >> dynamically linked against pdflib it broke, giving me the following
9 >> error:
12 > Seems to me like pdflib should be slotted - I see no elegant way around
13 > this, particulary because php links to everyone and their mother, and if
14 > this is an production system, you can't just cross your fingers
15 > everytime you do an update. Possible solution would be to emerge updates
16 > on a different machine (creating bin tars), test php and then install
17 > the bin tarballs on your server - so you can at least minimize eventual
18 > downtimes.
19
20 Only other thing you can do is statically link php. Although, I'm not even sure
21 you can do that! :)
25 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
26 Gentoo Infrastructure
27
28 ---
29 Public GPG key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
30 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
31
32 ramereth/irc.freenode.net