From: TRauMa <trauma@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Broken world upgrades
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:53:53
1 Steeve Lennmark wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >how do you people handle dynamically linked breakage during world
5 >upgrades?
6 >I upgraded media-libs/pdflib from 5.0.2 to 6.0.0_p1 and since php was
7 >dynamically linked against pdflib it broke, giving me the following
8 >error:
11 Seems to me like pdflib should be slotted - I see no elegant way around
12 this, particulary because php links to everyone and their mother, and if
13 this is an production system, you can't just cross your fingers
14 everytime you do an update. Possible solution would be to emerge updates
15 on a different machine (creating bin tars), test php and then install
16 the bin tarballs on your server - so you can at least minimize eventual
17 downtimes.
18
19 Not too enlightening, sorry :-)
20 T.