From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable portage tree
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:08:58
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 05:46:18PM +0200, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
4 > You have to understand that people in production environments can not do
5 > this. You can not risk a server being off line every few days.. If you
6 > have 10 severs, doing this you would 1-2 hours a week doing updates.
7 > With 100 servers, you may need a full time employee just to do updates.
8
9 I'm understanding this, and I'm working in production environment. :)
10 If you've 10+, or even 100 servers, then most of them usually have same
11 configuration (3-4 different configurations), and you can dedicate 1-2
12 servers for testing updates before installing them of all servers.
13
14 > I think perhaps a good suggestion would be for example:
15 > Gentoo enterprise release 2006.0 with it's own rsync mirror, then only
16 > security update ebuilds, or major bugs get added to this rsync mirror.
17 > This release could be timed with a official gentoo live cd release.
18 >
19 > When the admins want to do a major upgrade, they point their rsync
20 > mirror to 2007.0 for example.
21
22 Yeah, but, as I said before, this require many Gentoo devs dedicated for
23 this task... and these devs must not be newbies, they must be security
24 experts and strong QA. For now I don't see enthusiasm from Gentoo devs to
25 work on this task.
26
27 All other solutions like 'update once in 6-12 months' for my experience is
28 much worse than 'update constantly everything except selected packages'.
31 WBR, Alex.
32 --
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list