From: Josh Wyatt <Josh.Wyatt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Apache with SSL scaling
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:48:15
1 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > We're trying to deploy an environment on a two 1.5Ghz PIV with 4Gb of
5 > memory. However, we're noticing that we quickly reach a maximum load for
6 > SSL-requests on the webserver alone.
7 >
8 > We maxed out on around 1800 active HTTPS sessions who generated around 130
9 > requests (GET/POST) per second. Is this to be expected for this
10 > configuration? A higher load drops connections (the SSL cache can't handle
11 > more load), our number of Apache clients/threads scales well - we have an
12 > average of 320 threads (13 processes, each 25 threads) at any point of
13 > time.
14 >
15 > We are using the plain Apache (2.0) with the built-in SSL support.
16 >
17 > Wkr,
18 > Sven Vermeulen
19
20 At high load, are you experiencing high load average? Are you seeing high I/O on the partition with Apache?
21
22 Although you mentioned SSL cache, you didn't mention the value of SSLSessionCache in your config.
23
24 You will find that with high-concurrency hosting, 'dbm' or 'none' won't cut it - switch to shm instead, and give it some healthy space:
25 SSLSessionCache shm:/path/to/session/file(2048000)
26
27 Also consider disabling logging to minimize I/O.
28
29 Thanks,
30 Josh
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list