From: Myroslav Rys <miroslav@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] speaking of virtualization...
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:01:11
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm using VServers technology for dev (primary php, perl, ruby, sql)
4 and web-servers about 2 years.
5
6 look's good for me.
7
8 On 26 Чер 2007, at 18:56, Erik Anderson wrote:
9
10 > I'm in the process of setting up a new server that will be the host
11 > for several virtual linux development servers. I will provision out
12 > virtual servers to our engineers to use for kernel/driver development,
13 > embedded linux development, etc.
14 >
15 > Initially, I was thinking that I'd just use UML for this, but the
16 > recent virtualization discussion has me second-guessing myself. I
17 > chose UML becuase it seems quite a bit easier to set up than the rest
18 > of the bunch Xen, KVM, etc, but perhaps that's not true.
19 >
20 > The server in question is a Dual-CPU AMD Opteron with 8GB of RAM. I
21 > have 2007.0-amd64 installed, but haven't gotten any further in the
22 > config thus far.
23 >
24 > So...should I go ahead with UML, or should I look at implementing Xen
25 > perhaps? Or another virtualization technology? This is my first
26 > foray into implementing VPS stuff, so I'm sort of fumbling around.
27 > Xen seems like a very cool way to do this, but it seems a bit
28 > intimidating to get running.
29 >
30 > Any tips/suggestions?
31 >