From: Erik Anderson <erikerik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] speaking of virtualization...
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:59:38
1 I'm in the process of setting up a new server that will be the host
2 for several virtual linux development servers. I will provision out
3 virtual servers to our engineers to use for kernel/driver development,
4 embedded linux development, etc.
5
6 Initially, I was thinking that I'd just use UML for this, but the
7 recent virtualization discussion has me second-guessing myself. I
8 chose UML becuase it seems quite a bit easier to set up than the rest
9 of the bunch Xen, KVM, etc, but perhaps that's not true.
10
11 The server in question is a Dual-CPU AMD Opteron with 8GB of RAM. I
12 have 2007.0-amd64 installed, but haven't gotten any further in the
13 config thus far.
14
15 So...should I go ahead with UML, or should I look at implementing Xen
16 perhaps? Or another virtualization technology? This is my first
17 foray into implementing VPS stuff, so I'm sort of fumbling around.
18 Xen seems like a very cool way to do this, but it seems a bit
19 intimidating to get running.
20
21 Any tips/suggestions?
22