From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] email server concept: what's mail delivery agent
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:11:14
1 At 2004-06-02T19:44:44+0800, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > 1. Moden mail servers don't often do mail forwarding. So upon receiving
3 > an email, it will always be 'local delievery'.;
4
5 Not quite. Most mail servers have the capability to perform forwarding,
6 but it must be explicitly enabled. Otherwise, you run the risk of
7 letting anybody relay mail through your server. However, upon receiving
8 an email from the local machine (or any other authorized host) a
9 properly configured mail transfer agent will forward the email toward
10 its final destination.
11
12 > 2. Documents often mention 'delivery agent' and 'maildir', it seems
13 > 'delivery agent' is not a standalone package, there is a delievery agent
14 > in postfix package, and there is also one in cyrus package, I can choose
15 > to use the delivery agent (postfix's or cyrus')
16
17 You could also hand everything off to procmail, which is a standalone
18 delivery agent with filtering capability. As you noted, transfer agents
19 typically have delivery agent capability and the capability to hand
20 email off to an external delivery agent.
21
22 > I feel messed up reading all the documents, now I am afraid I got severl
23 > concepts completely wrong so I just write what I think plainly and hope
24 > someone kindly come out and say to me "hey, you got xxx wrong here", and
25 > I'll be thankful:)
26
27 Unfortunately, I can't really say "you got xxx wrong here", because you
28 seem to be mostly right.
31 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
32 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
33 --Ghost in the Shell