From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Wang Penghui <wangpenghui@××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-server] email server concept: what's mail delivery agent
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:18:43
1 Sorry if you see this message reposted. There was an error when I send
2 this mail the first time:)
3
4 Hello. I'm trying to set up an email server several days. I think the
5 most difficult part is to know when what does what. I wish to be clear
6 on some concepts.
7
8 I am running cyrus + postfix + ldap, multiple virtual domains (sealed
9 mail server, no mail user have system account). It seems to me:
10
11 1. Moden mail servers don't often do mail forwarding. So upon receiving
12 an email, it will always be 'local delievery'.;
13 2. Documents often mention 'delivery agent' and 'maildir', it seems
14 'delivery agent' is not a standalone package, there is a delievery agent
15 in postfix package, and there is also one in cyrus package, I can choose
16 to use the delivery agent (postfix's or cyrus')
17 3. maildir is a way to store email, it is where postfix save incoming
18 mail, and it is the place cyrus-imapd get emails so that to put to
19 user's INBOX. But an email server can have no maildir completely, and
20 let cyrus's delivery agent by pass maildir and put mail directly to
21 user's INBOX.
22 4. putting the incoming emails in to each coorisponding domain's email
23 storage place is the job of delivery agent.
24
25 I feel messed up reading all the documents, now I am afraid I got severl
26 concepts completely wrong so I just write what I think plainly and hope
27 someone kindly come out and say to me "hey, you got xxx wrong here", and
28 I'll be thankful:)
29
30 Thank you.