From: Ricardo Loureiro <rjlouro@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo-server project status and proposal
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:44:52
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi all,
5
6 Thanks so far for all the feedback and sugestions. I'll try to reply
7 to everyone in this mail.
8
9 One of the things most ppl ask is about what DB i'm using, why and if
10 i'm planning on support Mysql. I'm using PostgreSQL just because of
11 stored procedures that would allow easier notifications of machines
12 with vulnerable packages, etc. Also I had little experience with
13 postgresql and decided to give it a try. As far as mysql is
14 concerned, after I have a working version I will make sure the
15 project works with mysql too. For now, since I don't have much time
16 it will be only postgresql. The request for the database creation is
17 going to be filled, but unfortunately not until monday. I got the
18 umbrello diagram with me but i'm using a newer version at home, and
19 it's completely screwed up in umbrello 1.5. Will try to see if
20 there's a converter, if not on monday i'll mail it to the list.
21
22 About the longer docs, I have them all but in my native language,
23 Portuguese. If anyone understands portuguese I'll be happy to put
24 them online, for all the others i'm making new versions in English so
25 just wait some more time.
26
27 About CFengine, I took a look at it and will be taking some ideas,
28 but I don't expect to have a "econf" ready until the end of the
29 project, so it will be just to gather ideas.
30
31 > add the possibility to specify CFLAGS (or environment in general)
32 > for a single package or class of packages
33 Excelent idea, haven't though of it yet. Thanks for bringing this up.
34
35 > keep possible to hook the function (pkg_setup, src_unpack ...)
36 If I understood, you mean use this portage functions so we could add
37 some tasks specific to a networked portage. Another neat idea, but
38 outside the scope of the first release which must be done by the end
39 of January.
40
41 Also thanks for the links provided, will look into them during
42 weekend.
43
44 About econf, yes, I understand it's a hard terrain, but it just has
45 to be done, otherwise having to dig through configuration files in
46 each machine is a pain. Here's my initial idea:
47 - - econf would go through the old configuration file and detect
48 certain tokens and patterns described in the production rules.
49 - - it would then convert this tokens into the new file format (most of
50 the times they will not change)
51 - - Change the new file where changes in the old one existed.
52 This may be hard to get the picture, but let's see an example for
53 apache (httpd.conf).
54 There are several kinds od tokens, the simple ones (PARAMETER value
55 (value1)) and the not_so_simple (<Keyword name>
56 PARAMETER ...</Keyword>). Now remember, the configuration file
57 included in the package (our new configuration file) would bring a
58 file listing all the tokens present in the new conf file. All we need
59 to do is go through the old file, identify the tokens and if they
60 match with the new one, replace their contents. Ok, now what if the
61 old file had very non-standard content? Warn the admin about this and
62 don't do a thing. If no exceptions arise, we backup the old
63 configuration file, replace with the new one and that's it, the admin
64 only need to make sure everything it's working. If not, roll-back and
65 see what went wrong. I think it's a good price to pay if most of the
66 time works fine. You could even make some test scripts to auto-test
67 the service, and if not working good, roll-back, but that's something
68 else.
69 The idea of marking which files econf should handle and which should
70 not is good, and will make sure the admin has freedom to specify
71 which files are taboo for econf.
72 But as I said before, I will only write about the idea, no code
73 should arise from this since my priority is portagedb.
74
75 Sorry for the long mail, and thanks again for all the replies, they
76 were all very helpfull. Except new info by monday when i'm at the lab
77 again.
78
79 Ricardo Loureiro
80 - --