From: Phillip Berry <phillipberry@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 06:28:39
1 On Saturday 24 September 2005 14:48, Sean Cook wrote:
2 > > On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:01 +0000, Eduardo Tongson wrote:
3 > >> What makes CentOS 4.1 "more" stable than gentoo care to elaborate?
4 > >
5 > > The beauty of running a binary based GNU/Linux distribution not
6 > > particularly on CentOS alone but in general (includes Debian, Red Hat,
7 > > SuSE, Mandriva, etc.) is before the updates are released to the public
8 > > it has been tested and compiled for use in enterprise production use.
9 > > When I say updates here it doesn't mean of a new version number of the
10 > > packages. Instead, the security and bug fixes for the packages
11 > > installed in the system.
12 >
13 > so obviously we need to exclude operating systems like FreeBSD and OpenBSD
14 > for any type of production use because they do not have binary packages?
15 >
16 > > This is also the issue raised by Mr. Phillip Berry who started this
17 > > thread. I for one wants to have a Gentoo system in an enterprise
18 > > production use. This is not about bleeding edge, optimization,
19 > > performance and control.
20 >
21 > Gentoo is stable and is not bleeding edge unless you are using keywords
22 > and unmasking from the stable distro.
23 >
24 > > Try to think of managing 100 servers all running Gentoo on 5 to 10
25 > > different offices/companies with different services and customed
26 > > applications in production use. Do you think you can still manage all
27 > > of them?
28 >
29 > this assumes that one could manage 100 server of any distro in this
30 > manor... in fact gentoo lends itself to this environment better that most
31 > linux distrobutions because of portage overlays that allow you to tag
32 > specific machines for beta and production based on packages. It also
33 > allow you to build multiple packages and distribute them from a single
34 > source after testing.
35 >
36 > By the time you get to 20 servers anyway if you are using cvs (or other)
37 > to maintain config files and certain aspects of the os you are asking for
38 > trouble.
39 >
40 > That being said may we put this thread to rest? Gentoo is perfectly
41 > capable of running in a production environment, I have personally have 15
42 > servers all running gentoo 2005.1. I also have several debian servers and
43 > freebsd servers.... it is all simply a matter of comfort. you should
44 > never put any system into a production environment unless your comfortable
45 > admining that system... period. So lets stop the pissing contest of my
46 > distro can beat up your distro and get to the real issues.
47 >
48 > > ---
49 > > Linux GNUbie <gnubieATgmailDOTcom>
50 > >
51 > > --
52 > > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
53
54 Hello,
55
56 With respect, i would rather not put this thread to rest just yet. An
57 interesting discourse has been created, unfortunately it was temporarily
58 dragged into a distribution war, that is over now. The original thread is
59 100% on topic, myself, and various other gentlemen have expressed our
60 interest in some sort of stable portage tree.
61
62 I would like to take this moment to explore the core problem that i have
63 experienced, because i am certain that my original position has been lost
64 within the recent exchange.
65
66 My wish has little to do with 'enterprise support' or Gentoos readiness for a
67 production environment, it is simply an request for improvement on how those
68 of us who do run Gentoo on servers manage them.
69
70 After some thought, it occurs to me that the solution that requires minimal
71 work from the already overworked volunteers may be as simple as some
72 reasonable tools to manage existing portage functionality, consider the
73 following, based upon Svens advice to manually backport ebuilds ;
74
75 1. Automated generation of a portage overlay based on the currently installed
76 packages, these would then be safe from sync. The tool would need to be able
77 to drag ebuilds out of some sort of archive for existing machines.
78 2. An easy way to introduce and manage and remove ebuilds in the overlay
79
80 Wouldn't that be a reasonably stable tree? It means there is no major
81 architectural changes to Gentoo, but then allows administrators the
82 flexibility to determine what is stable, what version to sit on and when to
83 upgrade.
84
85 Thankyou for reading this far, i hope my suggestions and ideas are both
86 reasonable and useful.
87
88 Kind Regards
89 Phil